Chronic pelvic pain and endometriosis are major issues some people grapple with each day. Several meds from dispensaries don’t seem to have the answer anymore, leaving numerous sufferers in limbo.
And with the hemp plant showing promise in fighting inflammation and several pains, it’s becoming a choice for suppositories too.
There’s a massive rush on info concerning how to make cannabis suppositories based on the benefits they offer. And the opportunity to make suppositories in your home helps you save time and get more comfort.
Cannabis suppositories offer users a chance to leverage the pain and inflammation relief CBD offers. Also, there’s a limited chance of experiencing any psychoactive effects with the strongest forms of CBD.
What are Suppositories?
Suppositories are delivery mediums for meds usually inserted into the rectum or vagina. Most suppositories are commonly used for treating issues around the pelvis.
Issues like vaginal thrush, hemorrhoids, endometriosis, and other pelvic problems could be managed with suppositories.
Also, suppositories can be used in situations where a patient can’t absorb meds through their stomach. It also proves effective for patients that don’t find swallowing pills easy. Suppositories bypass the digestive system and absorb directly into users’ bloodstream.
With this transport process, cannabinoids in suppositories that target pain relief and anti-inflammation work faster.
Why Use Suppositories?
Cannabis suppositories, just like many other CBD products, come in a wide range of forms. And with different ingredients come varying uses. Some reasons why people use suppositories are spelled out below;
Better dosage potential
Different dosages can be achieved with suppositories. Suppositories coming with varying measures make getting the right dose for pain relief more comfortable.
Alternative method for CBD use
Also, suppositories are a recourse for people that don’t fancy the composition of other oral CBD.
Some people don’t respond well to terpenes, flavonoids, and other compounds present in some CBD strains. But with suppositories, there could be an opportunity to use CBD without any harsh after-effects.
People that need the relief CBD offers to work below their waistline can leverage suppositories with ease. Pains associated with several illnesses can be managed better with suppositories.
Also, cannabis used in suppositories rarely possess any psychoactive compounds. Even if suppositories get to the bloodstream directly, your chances of getting high are very low.
How to Make Cannabis Suppositories
- 5ml syringe
- Coconut oil or cocoa butter
- Mason jar
- Pyrex dish or double boiler
- Slow cooker
- Straw-length container
- Suppository molds or bubble tea straw
- CBD distillate or dried, pre-decarbonized hemp extract
- Consider warming your hemp or CBD distillate for about 10~15 seconds. If you don’t have a hair dryer that’s ideal for direct heating, there’s another option. Use a plastic bag to seal your herb or distillate and put in warm water for a maximum of two minutes.
- Also, consider working steadily as most ingredients may harden if you don’t round off the mixture in time. If you’re using a tea straw instead of suppository molds, consider getting an option that’s sturdy enough to withstand cooling.
- Ensure you don’t fill suppository molds with eye gauge. Proper dosing is essential to leverage full results. That’s why you need a template for measuring through all your molds.
- If you’re using cocoa better as a main ingredient, make sure it’s not too hot during processing. Cocoa butter that’s heated up may melt your molds before time. Also, make sure your cocoa butter mix doesn’t get to room temperature too, as it will harden easily.
- Melt cocoa butter in a double boiler
- Weigh your decarbonized herb or distillate and record its reading
- Get 10ml of your decarbonized herb into a mason jar. Consider a high THC option for added relief potential.
- Add melted cocoa butter into the jar
- Place jar inside a water bath and inside the slow cooker
- Cook on low heat for about three-and-a-half to six hours
- After cooking, strain herb with funnel and cheesecloth
- Pour solution into straw (or suppository molds) after straining
- Leave to cool for 24hrs
- Run water over straw to make suppository easy to remove (this step may not be necessary for suppository molds)
- If you’re using a bubble tea straw, cut in 1” lengths.
- Store in a dry, air tight container in a cool, dry place.
- Use suppository as desired
When you’re making a suppository from scratch, it’s better to opt for a high THC strain of hemp extract. Use a 1:1 ratio of herb to oil for stronger dosages. And you can opt for a 1:2 herb-oil dosage if you could react too much to high THC hemp strains.
How to Use Suppositories
If your suppositories are made with pre-molded casings, insertion is always a breeze. Place the pointed end to your rectum and give it a slight nudge. The sphincter resident around your rectum holds suppositories in place during dispensing.
Some suppositories, like the ones made with tea straw may be tricky to manage, particularly for newbies. But with adherence to all steps outline above, it could become easier with a few practice sessions.
Pain around the uterus is another major concern for suppository users. Regular use of suppositories in the vaginal area could result in pain and inflammation relief.
But there’s something to note when using suppositories.
Pushing these meds too high could cause a high psychoactive effect than regular insertion. Consider placing the suppositories just right along the anal canal. Every anal canal comes with a sphincter that’ll hold the suppository in place.
When you’re trying out how to make cannabis suppositories for the first time, you need to put in the work. Consider measuring your base liquids the right way to avoid poor or overdosing.
Measuring ingredients required for the composition may require your investment in graduated cylinders. Also, consider getting scales to measure concentrated cannabis for a perfect dose.
And if you’re keen on making cannabis suppositories right, consider using ingredients as directed in this post. You won’t want one wrongly-managed ingredient to ruin your entire suppositories.